What do Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers do?
Install and repair industrial and commercial refrigerating systems.
- Observe and test system operation, using gauges and instruments.
- Adjust valves according to specifications and charge system with proper type of refrigerant by pumping the specified gas or fluid into the system.
- Test lines, components, and connections for leaks.
- Dismantle malfunctioning systems and test components, using electrical, mechanical, and pneumatic testing equipment.
- Adjust or replace worn or defective mechanisms and parts, and reassemble repaired systems.
- Braze or solder parts to repair defective joints and leaks.
- Perform mechanical overhauls and refrigerant reclaiming.
- Keep records of repairs and replacements made and causes of malfunctions.
- Install expansion and control valves, using acetylene torches and wrenches.
- Install wiring to connect components to an electric power source.
- Mount compressor, condenser, and other components in specified locations on frames, using hand tools and acetylene welding equipment.
- Schedule work with customers and initiate work orders, house requisitions and orders from stock.
- Supervise and instruct assistants.
- Estimate, order, pick up, deliver, and install materials and supplies needed to maintain equipment in good working condition.
- Cut, bend, thread, and connect pipe to functional components and water, power, or refrigeration system.
- Lay out reference points for installation of structural and functional components, using measuring instruments.
- Read blueprints to determine location, size, capacity, and type of components needed to build refrigeration system.
- Lift and align components into position, using hoist or block and tackle.
- Fabricate and assemble structural and functional components of refrigeration system, using hand tools, power tools, and welding equipment.
- Drill holes and install mounting brackets and hangers into floor and walls of building.
- Insulate shells and cabinets of systems.
Related Jobs (Refrigeration Mechanics and Installers)