What do Painting, Coating, and Decorating Workers do?
Paint, coat, or decorate articles such as furniture, glass, plateware, pottery, jewelry, toys, books, or leather.
- Apply coatings, such as paint, ink, or lacquer, to protect or decorate workpiece surfaces, using spray guns, pens, or brushes.
- Examine finished surfaces of workpieces to verify conformance to specifications; then retouch any defective areas.
- Clean and maintain tools and equipment, using solvents, brushes, and rags.
- Read job orders and inspect workpieces to determine work procedures and materials required.
- Clean surfaces of workpieces in preparation for coating, using cleaning fluids, solvents, brushes, scrapers, steam, sandpaper, or cloth.
- Rinse, drain, or wipe coated workpieces to remove excess coating material or to facilitate setting of finish coats on workpieces.
- Place coated workpieces in ovens or dryers for specified times in order to dry or harden finishes.
- Select and mix ingredients to prepare coating substances according to specifications, using paddles or mechanical mixers.
- Melt or heat coating materials to specified temperatures.
- Conceal blemishes in workpieces, such as nicks and dents, using fillers such as putty.
- Immerse workpieces into coating materials for specified times.
- Cut out sections in surfaces of materials to be inlaid with decorative pieces, using patterns and knives or scissors.
- Position and glue decorative pieces in cutout sections of workpieces, following patterns.
Related Jobs (Painting, Coating, and Decorating Workers)